- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 tbsp. lemon zest
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 6 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- 5 1/2 c. confectioner's sugar
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 10oz. jar of marmalade
- Edible leaves & flowers
- Assorted fruit
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter, olive oil, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix for at least 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, buttermilk, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and whisk to combine.
- Divide the batter equally between the prepared cake pans, spreading it evenly.
- Bake for approximately 26 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once the cakes are done, remove them from the oven and let them cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cakes are cooling, prepare the buttercream icing. In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter, cream cheese, and lemon zest until creamy. Gradually add the powdered sugar, mixing well after each addition. Beat for at lease a minute, then add in the lemon juice. Continue toeat the mixture until smooth and fluffy.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread a layer of butter cream on top and then a layer of lemon marmalade.
- Place the second cake layer on top of the first layer and press down gently.
- Place in the freezer for 20 min to an hour to allow for easy decorating.
- Once it’s very chilled, frost the entire cake with the buttercream icing, covering the top and sides evenly.
- Garnish the cake with additional dollops of marmalade, edible plants, and fruit
- Slice and serve the lemon marmalade cake at room temperature, and enjoy!