- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- Tinned sardines
- 1 head green garlic
- 1 shallot
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons fresh fennel fronds
- Zest from 1/2 meyer lemon
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- Salt to taste
- Bring the butter to room temperature.
- Finely dice and caramelize the shallots and green garlic (a roasted garlic clove could be used as well). Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Finely chop tarragon and fennel fronds.
- Combine fresh herbs, salt, chili flakes, and lemon zest in a small bowl.
- In a mortar and pestle or a bowl with a fork, combine butter, caramelized shallots and garlic, and one or two sardines (depending on your audience).
- When combined, add in the fresh ingredients.
- Transfer the butter to a bowl and serve right away or use parchment paper to roll and chill.
- Serve with radishes and fresh sourdough.